The Irish Institute of Digital Business is a University Designated Research Centre located in Dublin City University. It was established in December 2018 with the vision for the research centre is to be an internationally recognised centre of excellence for theoretical and applied research that investigates and accelerates the adoption of digital technologies and the transformation of business and society using these technologies.
The Irish Institute of Digital Business builds on the legacy and achievements of The Irish Centre for Cloud Computing and Commerce (IC4), expanding the focus of its work from cloud computing to include a wider range of technologies including social, mobile, Big Data analytics, and blockchain technologies, but also exploring the role and impact of digital technologies in other parts of society.
The mission of the research centre is to develop an academic research environment that will foster innovative and high quality multi-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary research and support the development of both faculty and researchers. The economic mission of the centre is to transfer research insights and outcomes to DCU’s student body and the national industry base to accelerate the adoption of digital technologies, optimise digital processes, and as a result transform those businesses.
IIDB is organised around four themes:
- Digital Economy & Society led by Prof. Theo Lynn and Dr. Gary Sinclair
- Trust led by Dr Lisa van der Werff
- Leadership, Innovation & Knowledge led by Prof. Claire Gubbins
- Fintech led by Prof. Michael Dowling
Researchers are hosted at dotLAB located in DCU Business School. IIDB also coordinates a network of collaborators throughout the world. As well as dotLAB in DCU, the dotLAB network currently comprises 7 partners:
- dotLAB Brazil @ UPE (Pernambuco, Brazil)
- dotLAB MidWest @ University of Tulsa (Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA)
- dotLAB France @ ESC Rennes School of Business (Rennes, France)
- dotLAB Italy @ D’Annunzio University of Chieti – Pescara (Pescara, Italy)
- dotLAB Slovenia @ University of Ljubljana (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
- dotLAB Indonesia @ Universitas Sebelas Maret (Surakarta, Indonesia)
- dotLAB India @ IIT Ropar (Rupnagar, Punjab, India)